Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My Fascination!


92 chains of poly nucleotides can determine the output of a human, the appearance, character and almost everything about a person.Don't you think it's fascinating? Well I do!
A living organism, to be precise let's say a human is made out of trillions of macro-molecules. But if you convert the theory by putting together some random collection of molecules as such you won't be able to create a human not even a bacteria.
Among the most interesting molecules that exist I am fascinated by DNA, the building block of life. Throughout the history experiments regarding the subject has lead many towards award winning inventions of the century. When comparing my self with the giants of this field I'm just an ant. Yet the little I know has inspired me to a greater extend.

WHAT'S SO SURPRISING ABOUT DNA?You may ask me. I would definitely stammer thinking what to tell you. Let me just tell you three simple basic factors.
1.)All body cells (except for the ones that doesn't have a nucleus eg:-red blood cells) have the same 46 inherited chromosomes. Though they are genetically identical a nerve is completely different from WBCs from both function and appearance.
2.)The whole genome can be divided into two categories; coding DNA and non-coding DNA. Coding DNA is what we call the genes. The fascinating thing is related to the number of genes. The human genome contains 3 billion nucleotides, making itself 25 times larger than any other single genome studied. But we only have approximately 26,000 genes. That's twice as the genes of a nematode or a fruit fly.
3.)human genome is 99.9% identical.The remaining 0.1% generates 1.4 million differences between individuals.

What am I so fascinated of? Is it genetics? Not really. Day by day many new factors are revealed still leaving many more mysteries to be solved. We discover things saying its science, but halfway through we forget its all about nature. According to my aspect mother nature is a mystery. Genetics is just the point of view of my interest. For you it might be something else. It doesn't matter because in general nature is our fascination.

1 comment:

  1. DNA has always been something quite fascinating to me ever since I watched Jurassic Park (a loooooooong time ago!!!), hehe! It's amazing how each person's DNA is unique and how many people are there in this world - like about 2 billion people, each one with a different DNA! CSI is another TV show that I watch that always talks about DNA.

    Cool post!

    ReplyDelete